Monday, June 8, 2009

black and white






6-7-09 Wow, i started to fix the split bench supports and once again one thing led to another... Over the weekend i disassembled the starboard bench, scraped all the old varnish and stain off and put on the first coat of poly. The old mahogany is beautiful and after all my experiments with various stains, i decided to just leave it natural. It looks like it was varnished without stain originally so i think it was a good decision. Jasmine and Andy came by to lend a welcome hand on Sunday too. Tonight i pulled the port bench apart and started to strip the wood, but didn't really have the motivation to work into the wee hours. Maybe it was because i never turned on the country music on the radio.  I'll have to cut away and splice the rotten end on that one port board, it's strange how some rot and others right next to them are fine, but since the ends of those boards all sit on the fiberglass deck I'm surprised they all haven't rotted out. 
If i can get one day this week to go install the floor, and get the benches back in before Friday, I'll launch her again this weekend and maybe go sailing on Sunday. I'd like to find a genoa one of these days to see how she handles with a big sail, but for the most part she's ready to go. Next week when all the woodwork is done I'm going to see if i can repair the 5hp Nissan outboard that came with her. Hollis said it made horrible death rattles so I'm not holding my breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment